PE and sport at PV - Autumn term 2020
Date: 22nd Oct 2020 @ 3:18pm
PE and Sport at Prospect Vale – Autumn term – September/December 2020
After a very strange and unusual period, the children all returned to school in September! It was wonderful to see so many happy, smiling and healthy faces return to our classrooms and filling our school with lots of noise J
The focus was to ensure the children had as much time as possible to get outside and be physically active. To allow this, during the summer period we had 2 large ‘pods’ constructed in our playgrounds. PE looked very different for the children initially, as all sessions were outside as the hall was not in use at this time.
Here’s a brief story of some of the PE and sport that has been happening across school…..
- Nursery – Focusing on basic fundamental skills, we have been allowing the children time to progress their gross motor skills with lots of music and movement, climbing, balancing and outdoor play.
- Reception – This is the 1st term that the children get changed independently into their PE kits! We have focused on movement, balance and athletics.
- Year 1 – Lessons have included music and movement, travel and balance and athletics. The children have learned the skills of working as a team and taking turns. Year 1 have been having lots of fun doing different relay races in their house groups.
- Year 2 – Year 2 have focused strongly on athletics and working as a team. They have also worked on movement and balance.
- Year 3 – The class have been building up their fitness levels and recording some great times in their mile runs. They have also focused on cooperation and organisation in team games.
- Year 4 – Working really hard on building their own dance routines, Year 4 have shown some great moves and skill! They are also attending swimming lessons every Friday.
- Year 5 and Year 6 – Both classes have been working with Mrs O’Hare progressing their athletics. The children have been doing regular timed runs and building up their fitness levels. Mrs O’Hare has also been doing orienteering with the classes.Some children in
- Years 4 and 5 were given the opportunity to have expert training by the Stockport SHAPES team as Sports Ambassadors and Change4life Champions. These new skills will hopefully be put in to practice in the new year as these skilled pupils will assist me in providing extra sports activities to other pupils and help with competitions.
‘Smile for a mile’ continues with each class aiming to run as many laps of the school playground as they can in 15 minutes at least twice a week. This has also been incorporated into the ‘virtual cross country’ Level 2 inter schools competition organised by Stockport SHAPES. The children have been timed over the half term to see how long it takes to run a full mile and the fastest runner’s names and times will be entered into the competition. The children have all enjoyed the challenge and are obtaining some fantastic times!
We also did our annual 'Santa Dash' raising money for our chosen charity Stockport 'MIND' and having a great day!
At the current time, there are no Extra-curricular school clubs running on the premises but our children are strongly encouraged to take part in as much physical activity as they can. Many of our pupils are attending clubs outside of school and their photos of achievement are continuing to be displayed on our Sports Superstars wall.
Our Sports coach Liam continues to be at School every lunchtime for structured activities, games and matches. Mrs O’Hare is in on Wednesdays.
Mrs Hall :)